Friday, September 3, 2010

Buongiorno!

So far Italy is beautiful! The Palazzo Alberti where we live is a gorgeous 15th century building and the birthplace of Renaissance artist Piero della Francesca. Perhaps you recognize his Baptism of Christ or Resurrection.


The latter painting is in a museum here in Sansepolcro. I haven't actually been to it yet but the other day I did squish my nose against the window and see it hanging on the wall. It feels very strange to be this close to things that I've read about in my art history book!

While I'm here I will be taking an art history class focusing on Italian Renaissance art and artists, and I am extremely excited about that. I'm also taking Color Theory, Italy Today, Learn to Travel, and Italian. The next couple of weeks our Italian class is very intensive. I'm very thankful for that because right now not knowing any Italian is problematic at times. I bought a bike from a student who was here last semester, and in a little while I am going to try and get some air in the tires and a helmet. The bike shop owner doesn't speak any English at all though, so I may have to bring my Italian dictionary with me. Hopefully we can figure things out alright.

Sansepolcro is a lovely town. My room is above a pizzeria on the main street so it can be a little noisy. Italians walk almost everywhere, all the time, and there are always people outside talking. It is really very pleasant. Some of the other girls and I have been surprised by how late everyone stays out, especially the children. Last night I was at a cafe until 11:30 or 12 and even at that time there were still parents with toddlers and little kids walking around. They have a completely different schedule than we do in the States, where parents never like to stay out late with their children. Here we usually have a nice big, long lunch, sometimes followed by a nap. All the little shops are closed from 1-4 for this reason, then they reopen and people stay out late. I am actually writing this while I'm waiting for the bike shop to open, but it's almost 4 so I can go now. Hopefully I'll be posting lots on this blog so keep checking back!

No comments:

Post a Comment